This photo shows the interior of a medical examination room at the Victoria Sexual Assault Centre (VSAC), which runs a clinic, where victims of sexual assault in Greater Victoria receive a number of services including medical exams, forensic tests and crisis support in one central location. (Submitted/VSAC)

Provincial funding announcement for Victoria sexual assault centre scheduled for Friday

Pending provincial announcement comes as centre searches for predictable funding

The provincial government has scheduled a funding announcement concerning a facility helping survivors of sexual assault.

Mitzi Dean, parliamentary secretary for gender equity, is scheduled to appear Friday morning at the Victoria Sexual Assault Centre (VSAC) at 3060 Cedar Hill Road for an event “to celebrate important new funding” for the facility. The annoucement is scheduled for 10:30 a.m.

Since 2016, the centre has been running an integrated clinic where victims of sexual assault receive a number of services including medical exams, forensic tests and crisis support in one central location. Police detachments across the region including Saanich Police have used the clinic in the 3000-block of Cedar Hill Road to interview survivors.

RELATED: Victoria Sexual Assault Centre looks for new financial model

Earlier this month, the public heard that the facility faces an uncertain future, as it search for a new funding model.

“We try to make sure that we are open this year, as we work towards finding sustainable and predictable funding,” said Grace Lore, a spokesperson for the VSAC, which has operated at various locations since 1982, earlier this month.

Startup funding for the clinic came from a provincial grant of $100,000 over two years. “That grant did not come with any funding to ensure operation in subsequent years,” Lore said at the time. The current funding model relies on grants and donations, a model not “feasible for survival,” she said.

Earlier this week, Saanich called on the province to provide stable funding for the facility. Saanich had granted the facility $35,000 on a one-time-basis, but stressed that it would not be in the words of Coun. Karen Harper a “long-term funder” for the facility.

“This is downloading from the province,” she said. “This is a service that should be funded by the province.”

The public is about to find whether the province will follow through.


Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

wolfgang.depner@saanichnews.com

Just Posted

Here comes the rain: Victoria can expect post Thanksgiving showers all week

Mild, rainy weather expected from Tuesday to Saturday

Opponents of Elizabeth May criticize her push to scrap temporary foreign worker program

May has proposed to scrap the federal program which supplies local business with temporary workers

Victoria woman uses loss to raise awareness of Pregnancy and Infant Loss Awareness Day

City of Victoria to recognize Pregnancy and Infant Loss Awareness Day Oct. 15

Calling all little yogis

Saanich yoga studio offering yoga classes for kids to encourage emotion control, healthy lifestyle

Monterey Faces: Meet lifelong Oak Bay resident Audrey Bruce

Monterey centre volunteer Linda Foubister interviews Audrey Bruce

VIDEO: Langley woman’s security camera records its own theft

Langley family discovers early morning grab was recorded

Canadian Snowbirds plane crashes before air show in Atlanta

Pilot lands safely after ejecting from jet

Share crash data, private insurers tell David Eby, ICBC

B.C. monopoly makes drivers retrieve their own records

B.C. VIEWS: Wolf kill, not backcountry bans, saving caribou

B.C.’s largest herds turn the corner from extinction

Pearson nets shootout winner as Canucks clip Flyers 3-2

Vancouver picks up second straight home win

Map on Elections Canada website sends Nanaimo-Ladysmith voters to landfill

Address for polling station correct, but Google Map address differs

BC Children’s Hospital launches 2 new virtual care sites bringing total to 19 across province

Provincial initiative allows pediatric patients to see health specialists through video

‘Wham-bam out the door’: Surrey man’s front yard left ruined by scamming landscaper

Resident warns neighbours to be careful of door-to-door salesmen

Most Read