North Saanich fire crews douse the flames on a home in the Pauquachin community.

North Saanich fire crews douse the flames on a home in the Pauquachin community.

Family dog rescued from house fire that destroys Pauquachin home

A North Saanich home was quickly engulfed by a blazing house fire Thursday morning, but fire crews say everyone inside the home at the time — including the family dog — made it out alive.

A North Saanich home was quickly engulfed by a blazing house fire Thursday morning, but fire crews say everyone inside the home at the time — including the family dog — made it out alive.

The home, located on Pauquachin Road n the Pauquachin first nations community, is now completely destroyed, said Gary Wilton, fire chief for the North Saanich Fire Department.

According to Wilton, the fire started roughly around 10 a.m., originating on the front porch and then spreading to the rest of the house. When crews arrived, the fire had already extended to the attic space, ripping the roof apart.

“It appears a cigarette likely caused the fire,” said Wilton.

Two family members were inside the home at the time the fire broke out, a father and his son. Wilton said both made it out unhurt, but are “very distraught.”

Also inside the home was the family dog, which got trapped when the fire started. One of the men tried to run back inside to help it out, but found that the air was just too hot. When fire crews entered the burning home on arrival they found the dog still alive and pulled it out to safety. It is now being treated by a local veterinarian.

Neighbours living close by were also asked to evacuate their homes as a safety precaution, as thick black smoke filled the sky.

While the cause of the fire is believed to be accidental, the fire department and RCMP are continuing to investigate.