Victoria Fire Department responded to a fire on Davie Saturday afternoon during which a man ran into a burning home to rescue his dog (FILE PHOTO)

Victoria man runs into burning house to rescue dog

The man is said to have suffered smoke inhalation

A pet rescue during a Saturday fire in Victoria was either a daring rescue or a fool-hardy act, depending on perspective.

Oscar Pohl, an acting battalion chief with the Victoria Fire Department, said a man described as in his 30s or 40s suffered smoking inhalation after he entered a burning house on Davie Street to rescue his dog.

“In this case, he was able to exit the building with his dog, but he could very well have gone down in the smoke,” said Pohl. “He could have been a victim in a more deadly sense … but that is easy for somebody to say when it is not your pet. Entering a building when there is an active fire is not a safe thing to do.”

Despite Pohl warning against entering the building, he acknowledged the perspective of the pet owner.

“At any point of time, we make one of those choices. But it always reminds me of water safety. One of the first things they teach is you don’t become a victim yourself. But then again, I wasn’t there at the time and it was not my pet.”

RELATED: Two dogs rescued from Colwood house fire

RELATED: Firefighters save two dogs in Oak Bay house fire

The pet, which Pohl described as a black Labrador cross, along with a cat rescued from the basement, found a temporary new home with a neighbour. The status of the man is not clear.

“As far as I know, ambulance took one person, possibly two to the hospital for smoke inhalation, and they were being treated there. They hadn’t returned from the hospital by the time we left the scene. So I have had no update on their condition,” said Pohl.

Pohl said investigation into the fire is ongoing. “They [investigators] have an area of interest and they just want to play some things out,” he said. “They are not considering it as suspicious. They are looking at it as sort of accidental cause from what have I gleaned from the situation so far.”

Pohl estimates that the fire caused estimated damages of around $150,000.


Like us on Facebook and follow @wolfgang_depner

wolfgang.depner@peninsulanewsreview.com

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Monday rings in partial return of school across Saanich Peninsula

Saanich School District reopening of schools comes with revised health measures

B.C. Conservation kills bear in Langford amid growing problem of habituation

Officer demands garbage lockdown for residents in bear territory

Killing of Discovery Island wolf was legal, says BC Conservation Service

Takaya was shot and killed by hunters on March 24

Police enforce school zone speed limits as Greater Victoria students return to class

Saanich police on the lookout for speeders outside Glanford Middle School

Anti-racism rally takes to the streets of downtown Victoria

Vigil for George Floyd planned at B.C. Legislature for 7 p.m.

VIDEO: A Vancouver Island black bear takes weekend nap in eagle tree

Videos captured by Terry Eissfeldt shows the bear arriving Saturday night and sleeping in on Sunday

COVID-19 birthday drive-by celebrations snuffed out in Island community

Bylaw officer visit with threats of a fine mean parade trucks taken off the road

Vancouver Island Regional Libraries to offer ‘takeout’ style services

VIRL will offer the service on a branch-by-branch basis

George Floyd asphyxiated by sustained pressure: family autopsy

Death sparked a wave of protests across the U.S. and abroad

COVID-19: B.C. commercial landlords can’t evict if they decline rent assistance

Emergency order ‘incentive’ for federal program, Carole James says

B.C. Hockey League prepping for 2020-21

League reviewing different scenarios and start times in compliance with provincial regulations

Duncan’s Queen Margaret’s School pioneers thermal imaging in school reopening

Private school is first in B.C. to use new tech post-COVID-19

Investigators probe death of CN employee at Surrey rail yard

Transportation Safety Board is investigating an ‘occurrence that took place during switching operations’

Most Read