Status quo budget keeps Sidney to Anacortes ferry route on time

Washington State Ferries had floated the idea of reducing the winter shutdown by another two months to save money.

Washington State Ferries was shown what they termed a status quo budget proposal by that state’s governor earlier this month.

That’s good news for Sidney, as it means there will be none of the ferry service reductions proposed earlier in the fall. Washington State Ferries had floated the idea of reducing the winter shutdown by another two months to save money.

Lars Erickson, communications director of the Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT), said the governor’s budget means their department holds the line, compared to the previous fiscal year.

Melissa Johnson, operations policy advisor for WSDOT and the Sidney, B.C. Terminal Manager, added that proposed budget supports the current level of service.

Johnson and security manager Helmut Steele were in Sidney Dec. 15 and gave the local town council an overview of 2014 and a preview of things to come in 2015.

“We have growing traffic on our special route,” Johnson said, referring to the Sidney-Anacortes route.

“Since 2007, there have been more Canadians entering the U.S. (than the other way around),” she explained. “This is vital information that people, especially legislators, need to know.”

She said Washington State Ferries (WSF) is the largest ferry system in the U.S. and carried an estimated 22.8 million passengers and 10 million vehicles in the last fiscal year. Johnson said they’ve been able to welcome that many by keeping their fares comparable to those offered by the Coho Ferry and even B.C. Ferries.

With 450 sailings each day (total, from Seattle, Anacortes, the San Juan Islands and Sidney), Johnson said they provide steady employment for 1,770 people.

“We’re third in the world for the number of annual passengers.”

This year, Johnson said WSF will build their second new vessel, replacing some of their older vessels. None of the new vessels (they will build a total of three) will make the Sidney to Anacortes run. Johnson said crews and ferries that do ply international waters must be specially trained and outfitted.

Steele, security boss for WSF for the last 10 years, said they have pumped $38 million into security since 2004. He was quick to point out that there have been no specific threats in regard to the ferry service.

That said, Steele pointed out they take security seriously and work closely with agencies like Transport Canada, the RCMP, the U.S. Coast Guard and the Washington State Patrol.

Sidney, in the meantime, is expanding its international ferry terminal. A new toll booth is under construction — estimated to be done by the time the WSF service resumes on March 22, after its regular winter shutdown which commenced on Dec. 27.

Just Posted

False missile alert for Central Saanich councillor

While on vacation in Hawaii, Central Saanich Councillor Alicia Holman was awoken… Continue reading

Central Saanich police chase down speeding biker

A motorcyclist from the Lower Mainland was caught on the Tsawout reserve… Continue reading

Victoria airport nearing billion-dollar mark in economic impact

Airport has nearly doubled its passengers and its impact on the economy since 2005

More buoys allowed for Brentwood Bay

Proposed number rises from 40 to 60

Victoria airport reaches nearly two million passengers in 2017

This year expected to see additional growth

Sidney’s Salish Sea aquarium to close for maintenance

First extended closure for the Shaw Centre for the Salish Sea since it opened in 2009

Butchart Gardens is hiring now and paying more

Wages start at $15, job fair Feb. 20

Cash still needed for Stelly’s Cross Path

MLA Olsen wants more specifics first

Injured parachutist wants stolen backpack back

Bag contained important video files of 2017 parachuting incident

Winter storm coming to B.C. this weekend

The bets are on as to how much snow the province will actually get in the coming days

B.C. civil rights group files complaint about RCMP arrest of man who later died

Dale Culver, a 35-year-old Indigenous man was arrested in Prince George last July

Lawyer says former B.C. government aide ‘barely guilty’ in ethnic vote scandal

Brian Bonney pleaded guilty to a breach of trust charge

Quite a few tears as homemade quilts distributed to residents of Ashcroft Reserve, Boston Flats affected by last summer’s fire

Quilters in B.C. and Alberta worked through the summer and fall to create more than 100 quilts.

B.C. coast loggers celebrate history, hope for improvement

Truck Loggers Association awaits B.C. NDP government’s new direction

Most Read