Spontaneous combustion is said to be the cause of an early Sunday morning fire in Colwood.
Cpt. Scott Abrahamson of the Colwood Fire Department said a large bark mulch pile near Veterans Memorial Parkway and Allendale Road is extinguished after two crews with a total of nine firefighters and two vehicles responded to the scene. The pile had self-ignited, he said.
After an initial response by crews, the property owner dispersed the pile, which had self-ignited, he said. Crews first responded to the scene at around 7:26 a.m. About an hour later, they departed the scene.
The Sunday morning fire happened as the fire rating in Colwood remains high. Abrahamson, however, that the Sunday morning was unlike human-caused brush fires.
The current rating prohibits the use of outdoor burning appliances. All other forms of open burning is prohibited as per bylaw.