The 2011 financial statements of the Sidney Business Association will undergo scrutiny this year.
At the May 18 annual general meeting, SBA members didn’t approve the 2011 statements as shown. In response, three people were named to an audit committee that will oversee a review of the financials: consultant Richard Talbot, who also sits on the SBA’s new board of directors, Angus Matthews of the Shaw Ocean Discovery Centre and Jane Powell, owner of Buddies Toy Store.
The SBA, a not-for-profit, reported revenue and expenses around $170,000 last year.
New management at SBA
On May 18, the SBA held its annual general meeting which brought about new directors.
• Ross Macfarlane, independent insurance broker – president
• Bill Buckley, CARE funeral Services – vice-president
• Nick Coates, Victoria Airport Travelodge – secretary
• Victor Sanchez, Carlos Cantina and Grill – treasurer
• Richard Talbot, Talbot Consultants – director
• Clair Hawkins – director
The SBA hoped to have 11 directors, but not enough stepped forward. They’re still seeking more directors. The SBA has about 200 members.