Kuku’s restaurant was damaged after the driver of an SUV crashed into it on Wednesday. (Devon Bidal/News Staff)

Kuku’s restaurant was damaged after the driver of an SUV crashed into it on Wednesday. (Devon Bidal/News Staff)

Saanich Indian restaurant reduced to rubble during busy holiday season

Owner ‘blown away’ by the damage, relieved no one was seriously injured

Saanich restaurant owner Randy Madhar was shocked when he got a call saying someone had crashed into his establishment, Kuku’s, on Wednesday morning.

He’d been in the shower getting ready to start work early for a catering event. After getting the call, he got in his car and raced over to check on the restaurant. He said his mind was on the safety of his staff and customers.

Madhar was “blown away” when he saw that the damage. The front end of the Indian restaurant – located near the intersection of Burnside Road West and Harriet Road – had been turned to rubble after the driver of a red SUV drove into it before 9 a.m.

Luckily, no one was inside or walking by at the time and the driver sustained minor injuries, Madhar said. She was taken to hospital with what he presumed was a broken leg.

A staff member was scheduled to start work just a few minutes after the crash. Her son had dropped her off moments before and she hadn’t gone inside yet.

READ ALSO: Car crash causes extensive damage to Saanich restaurant

Madhar said if the crash had occurred 10 minutes later, workers and customers would have been inside.

“I could see some serious injuries,” he said.

The apartment above the restaurant was also empty at the time. Madhar said the resident and her baby were asked to find somewhere else to stay until the structural integrity of the building could be assessed.

Madhar has been in contact with police, municipal engineers and his insurance company but the full extent of the damage is not yet known. He was simply told the restaurant will be “out of commission” for some time.

READ ALSO: Masks required for unvaccinated visitors to Vancouver Island hospitals

The incident will have an impact on Madhar’s business because the holidays are the busiest time of the year for Kuku’s. Madhar caters events and has provided food for those in need every Wednesday and Sunday for five years.

The next catering gig is for about 200 people in Nanaimo on Monday. Madhar is certain he’ll be able to “pull something off.” He has friends with restaurants in the area and hopes they’ll help him out.

“The person’s OK, so that’s what matters.”


@devonscarlett
Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

devon.bidal@saanichnews.com

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

(Black Press Media file photo)
Saanich repeals, reschedules two public hearings for consideration of new information

Move to hold public hearings for second time ‘very rare,’ mayor says

(File - Sooke News Mirror)
Man exposes himself to woman, children on Sooke trail

Suspect believed to be between 55 and 65 years of age

Eligible non-profit organizations and charities apply for support through North Saanich’s COVID-19 relief until Feb. 12.(Black Press Media file photo)
North Saanich lays out criteria for grants to non-profits

Eligible applicants can apply for an unlimited amount to help ease effects of COVID-19

Patrick MacMullan won $28,000 playing Toto. (Photo courtesy of BCLC)
Greater Victoria man wins $28,000 while watching football

Winning ticket purchased at Colwood convenience store

(Pixabay photo)
Emergency repairs underway on Phillips Road in Sooke

Sewage may have entered DeMamiel Creek and Sooke River

Health Minister Adrian Dix and provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry head for the press theatre at the B.C. legislature for an update on COVID-19, Jan. 7, 2021. (B.C. government)
B.C.’s COVID-19 spread steady with 509 new cases Friday

Hospitalized and critical care cases decline, nine deaths

Dr. Shannon Waters, the medical health officer for the Cowichan Valley Region, is reminding people to stay the course with COVID-19 measures. (File photo)
‘Stay the course’ with COVID measures, Island Health reminds

Limit social activity, wash hands, wear a mask, and isolate if you feel sick

Cowichan Tribes members line up at a drive-up clinic on Wednesday, Jan. 13 to receive the first doses of the COVID-19 vaccine in the region. (Kevin Rothbauer/Citizen)
BCAFN condems racism against Cowichan Tribes after COVID-19 outbreak

“Any one of us could do everything right and still catch the virus”: Regional Chief Terry Teegee.

Chief public health officer Dr. Theresa Tam provides an update on the COVID-19 pandemic in Ottawa on Friday, Jan. 8, 2021. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Sean Kilpatrick
Canada’s top doctor says to avoid non-essential travel as B.C. explores legal options

Premier John Horgan says he is seeking legal advice on whether it can limit interprovincial travel

The District reopened access to the Sooke Potholes on Friday. (Contributed - Ashley Ensor)
Sooke Potholes reopen after storm

The park was closed on Wednesday after down power lines

Nursing staff at West Coast General Hospital celebrate the announcement of a $6.25-million expansion of the emergency department that will start in March 2021. (File photo)
B.C. health ministry commits $6.25M to hospital expansion in Port Alberni

Plans for larger emergency department have been on hold since 2015

Seasonal influenza vaccine is administered starting each fall in B.C. and around the world. (Langley Advance Times)
After 30,000 tests, influenza nowhere to be found in B.C.

COVID-19 precautions have eliminated seasonal infection

Martin Luther King Jr. addresses the crowd during the march on Washington, D.C., in August of 1963. Courtesy photo
Government announces creation of B.C.’s first anti-racism act on Black Shirt Day

B.C. Ministers say education “a powerful tool” in the fight for equity and equality

Jobs Minister Ravi Kahlon shared a handwritten note his son received on Jan. 13, 2021. (Ravi Kahlon/Twitter)
Proud dad moment: B.C. minister’s son, 10, receives handwritten note for act of kindness

North Delta MLA took to Twitter to share a letter his son received from a new kid at school

Most Read