Police consider charges after driver crashes car in North Saanich

Driver in stolen vehicle flees police twice Dec. 23, crashes on Lochside Drive and is pulled from burning car.

Police are still investigating after a man crashed an allegedly stolen vehicle into a cement building on Lochside Drive Dec. 23, causing the car to burst into flames and sending the driver to hospital.

The driver, who was pulled from the burning car by passers-by and is still in hospital with serious injuries, is facing charges of stealing the car, a Cadillac taken from a gas station in Saanich, dangerous driving, failing to stop for police and failing to remain at the scene of a collision.

Sidney North Saanich RCMP reported on Dec. 28 that they and the Central Saanich Police Service collaborated in the attempted apprehension of the driver on Dec. 23 at around 6:20 p.m. They located the car after it had been stolen from the gas station, with the gas hose and nozzle still attached. Police had received calls from the public about the vehicle and its erratic behaviour.

“Upon making initial contact with the driver (at Mt. Newton Cross Road and highway 17), efforts by police to facilitate his compliance were met with defiance,” stated an RCMP media release. “He subsequently fled in the vehicle.”

Police again located the vehicle in the McTavish Road roundabout in North Saanich and the driver fled police again, traveling onto Lochside Drive. The vehicle crashed into a cement building and caught fire.

The RCMP report drugs and alcohol have been ruled out in the case but stated the reasons for the crash are unknown at this time. In the media release, the RCMP stated the Independent Investigations Office — the independent, civilian-led body that conducts investigations into on and off duty police involved incidents that result in death or serious harm) has reviewed the circumstances and will not assume jurisdiction in the case.

“This is a multi-agency criminal investigation involving three different police agencies,” said Sergeant Wayne Conley, commander of the Sidney North Saanich RCMP detachment. “Investigators from all three agencies are working diligently to prepare a report to Crown Counsel.”

— with files from the Sidney North Saanich RCMP

Just Posted

Relative of man found dead in Saanich says he was missing for years

RCMP and a private detective had been searching for him since 2012

UPDATED: Oak Bay father takes stand, denies killing young daughters

Andrew Berry has plead not guilty to the December 2017 deaths of his two daughters

Man who killed Langford teen attended her memorial service, demonstrates little remorse

Parole Board of Canada documents reveal factors in parole decision

Oak Bay’s Food Forum closes after 37 years

Open on Christmas Day, the Estevan Village grocery had lovable quirks

Saanich Police warn of counterfeit money being used

Several fake $100 bills have been reported in Greater Victoria

VIDEO: Title of 25th Bond movie is ‘No Time to Die’

The film is set to be released in April 2020

POLL: Should there be a ban on gas-powered leaf blowers?

We’ve all heard them, and most likely cursed them under our breath.… Continue reading

Greater Victoria wanted list for the week of Aug. 23

Greater Victoria Crime Stoppers is seeking the public’s help in locating the… Continue reading

New study suggests autism overdiagnosed: Canadian expert

Laurent Mottron: ‘Autistic people we test now are less and less different than typical people’

Trans Mountain gives contractors 30 days to get workers, supplies ready for pipeline

Crown corporation believes the expansion project could be in service by mid-2022

Rosemount cooked diced chicken linked to listeria case in B.C.

The symptoms of listeria include vomiting, nausea, fever, muscle aches

B.C. seniors allowed more choice to stay in assisted living

Province doesn’t need to wait for a complaint to investigate care, Adrian Dix says

Retired B.C. fisherman wins record $60M Lotto Max jackpot

Joseph Katalinic won the biggest Lotto Max prize ever awarded

Island manslaughter suspect found not guilty in Supreme Court

Court accepts accused’s argument of self-defence for 2017 incident in Courtenay

Most Read