Old Moose Hall to be renewed

Building near corner of East Saanich Road and Wallace Drive may be revamped

Central Saanich council read three final adoptions of amendment bylaws during their meeting on Monday night, two of which pertained to the old Moose Hall building just past the corner of East Saanich Road and Wallace Drive.

The building, one of the oldest in the area, is proposed to eventually house a retail antique business called the Old Attic.

The business owner applied to council some time ago to get approval for change of use and variance permits for the building, which has most recently housed non-profit organizations. It will still continue to house the daycare facility that runs out of the bottom level.

Permits for the adjustments to the building took so long because of the need to expand parking areas around the property.

“This is a unique situation in that this building doesn’t have parking because of how the areas around it have developed over the years,” said Mayor Alastair Bryson during Monday night’s meeting.

Plans now, along with adding a new ramp and front entrance to the building, are to create six parallel on-street parking spots in front of the building on East Saanich Road, a project which will include new curb and gutter, sidewalk and bike lanes.

“I can support this project on the basis of preserving the building,” said Councillor Adam Olsen during the meeting, adding that the improvements to that section of East Saanich Road will be welcome.

The business owner has proposed to pay for 49 per cent of the project with the other 51 per cent coming from an account the district has for improvement to East Saanich Road.

Mayor Alastair Bryson welcomed the change for several reasons and applauded the applicant, staff and council for being so patient with the process.

“It was a long process but it was worth it,” he said, adding that the property had been, for many years, non-taxable and now will be a tax paying business.

Councillor Zeb King excused himself from discussions on the project because of a conflict of interest regarding family members involved in the business.

Just Posted

Egg buyers given more information, options in Greater Victoria stores

Partnership with BC SPCA launched the project in 2011

Victoria-based warship rescues two more sea turtles

HMCS Edmonton credited with a turtle rescue earlier in November

Santa’s parade set to light up Victoria

37th Island Farms Santa’s Light Parade rolls down Government Street Saturday

Watchdog calls for probe into police board spending on ex-Victoria police chief

Police Complaint Commissioner says accountable and transparent review is in public interest

VIDEO: Ucluelet Aquarium surveying spread and threat of microplastics

“Plastics never actually go away, they break down to smaller and smaller pieces.”

Greater Victoria Crime Stoppers wanted list for the week of Nov. 20

Greater Victoria Crime Stoppers is seeking the public’s help in locating the… Continue reading

VIDEO: Ucluelet Aquarium surveying spread and threat of microplastics

“Plastics never actually go away, they break down to smaller and smaller pieces.”

POLL: Have you started your Christmas shopping yet?

The Christmas lights are twinkling and holiday music is playing in local… Continue reading

South Korean named Interpol president in blow to Russia

South Korea’s Kim Jong Yang was elected as Interpol’s president edging out a longtime veteran of Russia’s security services.

E. coli outbreak linked to romaine lettuce sickens 18 people in Ontario, Quebec

The Canadian Food Inspection Agency says it’s working with U.S. authorities to determine the source of the romaine lettuce those who got ill were exposed to.

Trump defies calls to punish crown prince for writer’s death

The U.S. earlier sanctioned 17 Saudi officials suspected of being responsible for or complicit in the Oct. 2 killing, but members of Congress have called for harsher actions, including cancelling arms sales.

British, EU leaders to meet as Brexit deadline looms

The U.K. and the European Union agreed last week on a 585-page document sealing the terms of Britain’s departure.

Richard Oland was killed ‘in a rage,’ prosecutor tells son’s murder trial

The verdict from Oland’s 2015 murder trial was set aside on appeal in 2016. Richard Oland, 69, was found dead in his Saint John office on July 7, 2011.

Most Read