District of North Saanich Municipal Hall. (Black Press file photo)

North Saanich faces city hall vacancies

District needs to fill lead administrator, councillor roles

While the District of North Saanich waits to hear news of a by-election after the resignation of a councillor last week, the municipality is also in the midst of hiring a new chief administrative officer.

In October, CAO Rob Buchan announced his retirement after eight years in the role.

RELATED: North Saanich compensates staffer for shabby treatment

Buchan garnered attention in 2016 when the council of the day compensated him some $26,000 for what previous Mayor Alice Finnall called “his treatment at the hands of the previous municipal council” in 2011.

Current Mayor Geoff Orr said the District is coming to the tail end of the interview process for a new CAO.

“We’re not expecting someone here before Christmas, but generally we’ve talked about early in the new year,” Orr said Wednesday.

Mayor Geoff Orr remains optimistic candidates will step forward for the coming by-election to fill a seat on council. (North Saanich.ca)

On Nov. 22 Coun. Joscelyn Barnard announced her resignation from council just one month after the election.

In a statement, Barnard accused the District of being an unhealthy work environment calling for a third-party audit into “the corporate culture and practices of the District.”

Orr maintains the resignation was a surprise to him and others at the council table and declined to comment on Barnard’s accusations.

In a statement released Nov. 23, Orr said he does “not agree with her characterization of the ‘system’ she experienced as a new councillor.”

RELATED: North Saanich councillor resigns one month after election

RELATED: Mayor responds to sudden, controversial resignation of North Saanich councillor

As far as a date for a by-election, Orr said that will be called within 80 days of when council assigns a chief electoral officer, as per Elections BC rules.

Barnard was one of two new councillors who joined a table of six, all acclaimed.

However, Orr said the “dynamics are quite different” than at the time of the Oct. 20 election and remains optimistic that “at least a few candidates” will come forward to run in the by-election.

“Anyone that might have been thinking of [running] last time may revisit that through this process,” he said. “I think we’ll be in good shape.”


Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

Just Posted

Victoria City Council approves inclusionary housing policy

After years of back and forth, the policy will be ratified in two weeks

Filipino Heritage Month event takes over Centennial Square

Dancing, music and food highlight Mabuhay Day celebration in Victoria

West Shore residents report finding anti-SOGI 123 flyers in mailboxes

SD62 trustee Ravi Parmar says the flyers are ‘garbage’

Tsartlip canoe team pulls for international glory in Australia

Geronimo Canoe Club paddles to Victoria to kick-start fundraising

Victoria Weekender: What’s happening this weekend, June 15-16

Car Free YYJ, a barber battle and an Outdoor Discovery Day

Homalco tour gives glimpse into area’s ‘People, Land, Water’

First Nation business mixes cultural components with wildlife excursions

Bombers down B.C. Lions 33-23 in season opener

Former Lion Andrew Harris leads Winnipeg with 148 rushing yards

Northern B.C. family remembers murdered Indigenous woman with memorial walk

Still no closure for Ramona Wilson’s family 25 years later

Monkey spotted on late-night jaunt in Campbell River

Conservation officers also apparently looking for cougar in the area

B.C. university to offer mentorship program for former youth in care

Students using the provincial tuition waiver program will soon be able to form a community at KPU

Cyclists competing in one of the toughest bike races on the planet pass through Fernie

Divide riders looking strong as they finish first leg of 4160 km race

You might not know these B.C. records are public

Hired a lawyer to file a civil claim? Those are published online

B.C. bus driver loses case to get job back after texting while driving full bus

An arbitator ruled that Tim Wesman’s phone usage was a “a reckless disregard for public safety”

Most Read