No indication Vic West heritage house fire was suspicious

Fire crews working to put out a fire in the 200-block of Robert Street that started at around 8:40 p.m. on April 28. (Kendra Crighton/News Staff)Fire crews working to put out a fire in the 200-block of Robert Street that started at around 8:40 p.m. on April 28. (Kendra Crighton/News Staff)
Fire crews remain on scene in the 200-block of Robert Street in Vic West as they continue to monitor and put out hot spots at a heritage home. A fire broke out at the home around 8:30 p.m on Tuesday. (Courtesy of Vanessa Nicholson)Fire crews remain on scene in the 200-block of Robert Street in Vic West as they continue to monitor and put out hot spots at a heritage home. A fire broke out at the home around 8:30 p.m on Tuesday. (Courtesy of Vanessa Nicholson)
Fire crews working to put out a fire in the 200-block of Robert Street that started at around 8:40 p.m. on April 28. (Kendra Crighton/News Staff)Fire crews working to put out a fire in the 200-block of Robert Street that started at around 8:40 p.m. on April 28. (Kendra Crighton/News Staff)
A young girl watches firefighters tackle the blaze inside the heritage home. (Kendra Crighton/News Staff)A young girl watches firefighters tackle the blaze inside the heritage home. (Kendra Crighton/News Staff)
Deputy Fire Chief Dan Atkinson of the Victoria Fire Department says as of 10:30 p.m. crews were gaining the upper hand, but the fire won’t be extinguished for several more hours. (Kendra Crighton/News Staff)Deputy Fire Chief Dan Atkinson of the Victoria Fire Department says as of 10:30 p.m. crews were gaining the upper hand, but the fire won’t be extinguished for several more hours. (Kendra Crighton/News Staff)

There is no indication a structure fire in a Vic West heritage home was suspicious, according to the Victoria Fire Department.

Late Tuesday night, crews responded to a report of a fire in the 200-block of Robert Street. The report was phoned in by a man living in the home around 8:30 p.m. Deputy Chief Dan Atkinson said the man was the only known occupant of the home and was able to make it out safely.

“Early indications are that the fire started in the back corner of the home,” Atkinson said. “The occupant was the one that discovered the fire.”

Atkinson said the investigation is still ongoing and it is premature to speculate on the cause of the fire. However, he noted there is “no indication that it was suspicious.”

Crews were still on scene monitoring and putting out any hot spots, as of Wednesday morning. Atkinson said they started to scale down operations around midnight.

READ ALSO: UPDATED: Crews ‘turn corner’ in battling heritage house blaze, gaining the upper hand

A significant amount of fuel load within the home made it difficult to battle the blaze, which had already spread by the time crews responded shortly after 8:30 p.m., Atkinson said.

When crews first arrived they attempted to fight the fire from the inside of the home on two separate occasions but were met with some “challenging conditions” which impeded their progress. Atkinson said there was a significant amount of contents within the home as well.

Neighbours told Black Press Media there was a lot of contents around the home but Atkinson said it didn’t play a role in the fire itself and that they were able to manoeuvre around the structure.

Atkinson said the loss estimate from the blaze is about $500,000.

According to the Victoria Heritage Foundation, the home was built in 1903 for $2,000. The house has a “prominent two-storey corner tower,” with large central windows and a “large, flat-topped, rectangular hipped roof,” reads the Victoria Heritage Foundation’s website.

READ ALSO: Victoria police seek information on nine suspicious fires

Atkinson said heritage designation is always a consideration and that fire crews do their best to preserve heritage infrastructure whenever possible.

“But the big piece when dealing with heritage structures is that the construction techniques and building codes were different,” Atkinson said. “It’s not uncommon to be met with more challenging conditions with respect to fire spread and propagation.”

Whether or not the man will be able to return to the home is up to structural engineers and his insurance provider, Atkinson noted.

With files from Kendra Crighton

shalu.mehta@blackpress.ca


Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

fireHeritageVictoria Fire Department

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Island Health has reported a COVID-19 outbreak at Saanich Peninsula Hospital. (Arnold Lim/Black Press)
Four new COVID-19 cases added to Saanich Peninsula Hospital outbreak

Inital round of patient testing is complete, staff testing continues

A rendering of Victoria Wonderland, a drive-thru immersive holiday experience that has been cancelled due to COVID-19. (Courtesy of Transcend Victoria)
Victoria Wonderland drive-thru show cancelled due to COVID-19

Organizers hope to host a similar event, if restrictions allow, in the new year

Swiftsure International Yacht Race 2018. (Black Press Media file photo)
Popular Swiftsure yacht race cancelled for second consecutive year

International sailing race hopes to run its 77th event in 2022

Upcoming budget discussions in Sidney will look into hiring an outside contractor to help develop a long-term economic strategy. (Black Press Media File)
Sidney businesses, council working together on long-term economic pandemic strategy

Search for outside consultant part of 2021 budget discussions

Sidney’s Mary Winspear Centre likely won’t be hosting a farmer’s market originally scheduled for Central Saanich after all after municipal staff in Sidney did not issue the necessary license.
Proposed farmer’s market for Sidney likely to be cancelled

Market was scheduled for Saturday, Dec. 5 in the parking lot of Mary Winspear Centre

Motorists wait to enter a Fraser Health COVID-19 testing facility, in Surrey, B.C., on Monday, Nov. 9, 2020. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Darryl Dyck
Another 694 diagnosed with COVID-19 in B.C. Thursday

Three more health care outbreaks, 12 deaths

(AP Photo/Paula Bronstein)
POLL: Has COVID-19 changed your plans for the holidays?

The lights are going up, the stacks of presents under the tree… Continue reading

Anyone with information on any of these individuals is asked to call 1-800-222-TIPS (8477) or visit the website victoriacrimestoppers.ca for more information.
Greater Victoria Crime Stoppers wanted list for the week of Dec. 1

Greater Victoria Crime Stoppers is seeking the public’s help in locating the… Continue reading

Watch Messiah at home with the Sooke Philharmonic

Concert available to stream Dec. 12

Emergency crews used a backhoe loader to clear fire debris from the scene of a fire on Wesley Street Thursday as police and firefighters gathered up propane tanks, stoves and fireplaces used by camp residents to heat tents. (Chris Bush/News Bulletin)
City of Nanaimo dismantles downtown homeless encampment after fire

Four to six tents burned up in Wesley Street fire Thursday, Dec. 3

A demonstrator wears representations of sea lice outside the Fisheries and Oceans Canada offices in downtown Vancouver Sept. 24, demanding more action on the Cohen Commission recommendations to protect wild Fraser River sockeye. (Quinn Bender photo)
First Nations renew call to revoke salmon farm licences

Leadership council implores use of precautionary principle in Discovery Islands

Ten-month-old Aidan Deschamps poses for a photo with his parents Amanda Sully and Adam Deschamps in this undated handout photo. Ten-month-old Aidan Deschamps was the first baby in Canada to be diagnosed with spinal muscular atrophy through Ontario’s newborn screening program. The test was added to the program six days before he was born. THE CANADIAN PRESS/HO, Children’s Hospital Eastern Ontario *MANDATORY CREDIT*
First newborn tested for spinal muscular atrophy in Canada hits new milestones

‘If Aidan had been born any earlier or anywhere else our story would be quite different’

BC Ambulance Services reassures people that the service is well staffed and ready to respond. Photo by Don Bodger
BC Ambulance assures the Island community they’re ‘fully staffed’

‘Paramedics are not limited to a geographical area.’ — BCEHS

(Pixabay)
Canadians’ mental health has deteriorated with the second wave, study finds

Increased substance use one of the ways people are coping

Most Read