Saanich Fire Department responded to 22 complaints about open burning in rural Saanich after the province-wide ban went into effect March 26. (Black Press Media file photo)

More than 20 open burns reported in rural Saanich since province-wide ban went into effect

Residents in rural Saanich unaware of the ban, firefighter says

The Saanich Fire Department was called to more than 20 fires in rural Saanich since the end of March, despite a province-wide ban on open burning.

A provincial ban on outdoor burning was announced by the Ministry of Environment and Climate Change Strategy on March 26, explained Mike Simpson, Saanich’s assistant chief of fire prevention. The ban restricted open burning for all high smoke sensitivity zones across the province – including Greater Victoria – until April 15. The ministry’s ban has since been extended to June 15.

READ ALSO: Provincial ban on outdoor burning affects all of Greater Victoria

The ban was implemented as a result of the ongoing pandemic in an effort to improve air quality and avoid the impacts of wildfire smoke on public health, Simpson explained. However, it seems that some residents in rural Saanich aren’t abiding by the burning ban – likely because they’re unaware, he said.

The Saanich Fire Department responded to some 22 complaints about open burning after the ban went into effect – 10 of those calls were on April 10 alone. Simpson added that residents were respectful and put out their fires but had been unaware of the ban.

READ ALSO: Province extends COVID-19 fire ban until June 15

Simpson feels this is because under normal circumstances, from the end of October to April 30, residents in rural Saanich are allowed to burn on Fridays and on Saturdays until noon without a permit. However, “in the world we’re living in right now, it’s not allowed,” he said.

READ ALSO: B.C. wide burning restrictions come into effect April 16

The BC Wildfire Service also announced a fire ban on April 7, Simpson explained. Beginning at noon on April 16, a ban on Category 2 and 3 open fires, fireworks, sky lanterns and burn barrels or burn cages of any size or description unless used for a campfire will take effect. According to the Government of B.C. website, the ban includes public and private property and will remain in effect until further notice.

This all means that permit-free burning in rural Saanich will be closed down until at least the end of October when permit-open burning in rural Saanich typically begins, Simpson said. He emphasized that all open burning in Saanich – from backyard burners to yard waste disposal fires – is currently prohibited.

READ ALSO: Greater Victoria firefighters aim to balance COVID-19 with wildfires after record-topping dry spring


@devonscarlett
Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

devon.bidal@saanichnews.com

CoronavirusDistrict of Saanichfire ban

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Saanich police see spike in excessive speeding compared to previous years

Nearly 100 excessive speeders caught since January 2020

Colwood branch drop-off to continue throughout summer

COVID-19 safety measures remain in place

Welcome to grilling season: Saanich firefighter talks barbecue safety tips

Grills should be cleaned, serviced prior to use, firefighter says

Cycling scavenger hunt comes to Tweed City

Cyclists scour Oak Bay for clues in Bike to Work Week event

Colwood woman launches Adopt a Grad

Facebook page aims to support students during pandemic

11 new COVID-19 cases in B.C. as top doc urges caution amid ‘encouraging’ low rates

Dr. Bonnie Henry also announced that two care home outbreaks would be declared over

Surrey mayor’s party under fire for ‘sickening’ tweet accusing northern B.C. RCMP of murder

Mayor Doug McCallum says tweet, Facebook post ‘sent out by unauthorized person’

Father’s Day Walk Run for prostate cancer will be virtual event this year throughout B.C.

The annual fundraiser for Prostate Cancer Foundation BC has brought in $2.5 million since 1999

Dr. Bonnie Henry announces official ban on overnight kids’ camps this summer

New ban comes after talking with other provincial health officials across the country, Henry says

Senior man in hospital after unprovoked wolf attack near Prince Rupert

Conservation officers are on site looking for the wolf

VIDEO: NASA astronauts blast off into space on SpaceX rocket

Marks NASA’s first human spaceflight launched from U.S. soil in nearly a decade

‘I knew what he wanted’: Kootenay man spends hours in tree as black bear patrols below

Francis Levasseur is no stranger to the outdoors, but a recent run-in with a bear caused quite a scare

PHOTOS: U.S. cities brace for increasing unrest over police killing of George Floyd

Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz has fully mobilized the state’s National Guard

$200,000 Maybach impounded after ‘L’ driver caught excessively speeding in Vancouver

Meanwhile, the supervisor sat in the passenger seat, police said

Most Read