Saanich police confirmed Sunday that the family of four they are looking for are not missing, but they need assistance locating them for unknown reasons. (Photo via the Saanich Police Department)

Saanich police confirmed Sunday that the family of four they are looking for are not missing, but they need assistance locating them for unknown reasons. (Photo via the Saanich Police Department)

UPDATED: Saanich police say ‘missing’ family is safe, investigation closed

Police were working to ‘ensure the safety of the children,’ officer says

Saanich Police say a family reported missing last month have been located safe.

On Sept. 12, the department asked for help locating Bradley Cook, Melissa Trost and their two children who they believed to be travelling in B.C. or Alberta. Police say they were seeking information on the family’s whereabouts in order to assess their well-being.

The family themselves responded to the plea, telling media they were not missing at all. Saanich Police confirmed, shortly after, that the family wasn’t missing but that police wanted to locate them to “ensure the safety of the children.”

Saanich Police now say the family has been located and all members are safe. Const. Markus Anastasiades, public information officer for the Saanich police, said the investigation is closed.

“Investigators have now concluded this investigation and no further information will be released at this time.”

***

(Original release)

Police have confirmed the Saanich family that they are trying to find after failing to return back in Victoria for more than a week are not missing.

On Saturday, Sept. 12, Saanich Police Department issued an alert about a family of four whose whereabouts were unknown.

According to police, Bradley Michael Cook, 42, Melissa Renee Trost, 40, and their two young children, ages 4 and 2, were believed to be travelling somewhere in eastern B.C. or Alberta. They’d planned to return to Victoria on Sept. 4 but have not been seen.

A television station in Edmonton had reported they received an email from a man claiming to be Cook, saying that they weren’t missing and the police knew it.

The Saanich family then reportedly sent two photos to the Edmonton television station, each with one parent holding both their kids with a hand-written note for confirmation.

In several emails to the television station, the man claims their family is in a legal dispute involving the Saanich police department.

On Sunday morning, Cook told the television station that their family was in Edmonton.

Sgt. Markus Anastasiades, Saanich police media communications officer, confirmed in an email Sunday that the detachment wasn’t available for comment, but will have further discussions with investigators Monday.

READ ALSO: MISSING: VicPD continue search for high-risk missing 18-year-old


@devonscarlett
Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

devon.bidal@saanichnews.com

AlbertaBritish Columbiamissing personSaanich Police Department

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Eligible non-profit organizations and charities apply for support through North Saanich’s COVID-19 relief until Feb. 12.(Black Press Media file photo)
North Saanich lays out criteria for grants to non-profits

Eligible applicants can apply for an unlimited amount to help ease effects of COVID-19

(Black Press Media file photo)
Saanich repeals, reschedules two public hearings for consideration of new information

Move to hold public hearings for second time ‘very rare,’ mayor says

(File - Sooke News Mirror)
Man exposes himself to woman, children on Sooke trail

Suspect believed to be between 55 and 65 years of age

Patrick MacMullan won $28,000 playing Toto. (Photo courtesy of BCLC)
Greater Victoria man wins $28,000 while watching football

Winning ticket purchased at Colwood convenience store

(Pixabay photo)
Emergency sewer repairs underway on Phillips Road in Sooke

Sewage may have entered DeMamiel Creek and Sooke River

Health Minister Adrian Dix and provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry head for the press theatre at the B.C. legislature for an update on COVID-19, Jan. 7, 2021. (B.C. government)
B.C.’s COVID-19 spread steady with 509 new cases Friday

Hospitalized and critical care cases decline, nine deaths

Dr. Shannon Waters, the medical health officer for the Cowichan Valley Region, is reminding people to stay the course with COVID-19 measures. (File photo)
‘Stay the course’ with COVID measures, Island Health reminds

Limit social activity, wash hands, wear a mask, and isolate if you feel sick

Cowichan Tribes members line up at a drive-up clinic on Wednesday, Jan. 13 to receive the first doses of the COVID-19 vaccine in the region. (Kevin Rothbauer/Citizen)
BCAFN condems racism against Cowichan Tribes after COVID-19 outbreak

“Any one of us could do everything right and still catch the virus”: Regional Chief Terry Teegee.

Chief public health officer Dr. Theresa Tam provides an update on the COVID-19 pandemic in Ottawa on Friday, Jan. 8, 2021. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Sean Kilpatrick
Canada’s top doctor says to avoid non-essential travel as B.C. explores legal options

Premier John Horgan says he is seeking legal advice on whether it can limit interprovincial travel

The District reopened access to the Sooke Potholes on Friday. (Contributed - Ashley Ensor)
Sooke Potholes reopen after storm

The park was closed on Wednesday after down power lines

Nursing staff at West Coast General Hospital celebrate the announcement of a $6.25-million expansion of the emergency department that will start in March 2021. (File photo)
B.C. health ministry commits $6.25M to hospital expansion in Port Alberni

Plans for larger emergency department have been on hold since 2015

Seasonal influenza vaccine is administered starting each fall in B.C. and around the world. (Langley Advance Times)
After 30,000 tests, influenza nowhere to be found in B.C.

COVID-19 precautions have eliminated seasonal infection

Martin Luther King Jr. addresses the crowd during the march on Washington, D.C., in August of 1963. Courtesy photo
Government announces creation of B.C.’s first anti-racism act on Black Shirt Day

B.C. Ministers say education “a powerful tool” in the fight for equity and equality

Jobs Minister Ravi Kahlon shared a handwritten note his son received on Jan. 13, 2021. (Ravi Kahlon/Twitter)
Proud dad moment: B.C. minister’s son, 10, receives handwritten note for act of kindness

North Delta MLA took to Twitter to share a letter his son received from a new kid at school

Most Read