Harry Charles Sadd, a 73-year-old former badminton coach, plead guilty to eight charges relating to sexual abuse that took place between 1970 and 1984. (RCMP handout)

Former Greater Victoria badminton coach pleads guilty to 8 counts of sexual abuse

All charges relate to incidents taking place from 1970 to 1984

Harry Charles Sadd pleaded guilty to eight charges relating to sexual abuse that took place between 1970 to 1984 in Victoria, Saanich, Esquimalt and 100 Mile House according to B.C. Provincial Court documents.

In August of 2016 Black Press Media reported that the 73-year-old had been arrested in connection with a series of sexual assaults that took place in the late 1970s and continued for several years.

The former badminton coach was arrested after the victim, now an adult, came forward and told investigators multiple accounts of sexual assault that had occurred while he was a child and teen.

“All victims of sexual assault deserve to be heard,” Special Victims Unit Sgt. Kristi Ross said in August of 2016. “Harry Sadd’s actions have left these victims to carry the burden of what he has done their entire lives, often suffering in silence. They no longer have to suffer.”

RELATED: Victoria man charged in historical sexual assaults granted bail

Sadd also pleaded guilty to breaching bail conditions in 2017 when he attended an area where persons under the age of 18 were present or might be reasonably expected to be present, along with making contact with one of his victims.

According to police, one of the victims who came forward was inspired by Theo Fleury and Sheldon Kennedy who publicly shared their own stories of sexual abuse at the hands of trusted adults.

Sadd has previous convictions for sexual assault involving young male children and teens, leading investigators to believe there were other victims in the Greater Victoria area who had yet to come forward which lead them to make a rare public appeal for possible victims.

READ ALSO: Experts say parents are first line of defence in preventing sexual abuse in sports

Sadd also worked as a teacher in Alberta and may have worked in a similar capacity in other provinces.

Almost a year later in June of 2017 Victoria Police announced Sadd faced 23 new charges in relation to a series of historical sexual assaults after multiple victims came forward following the publication of his arrest the previous year. Sadd was arrested on June 20, 2017.

According to police the 23 new charges came after 12 additional victims came forward in 2017 — who were all males between the ages of nine to 15 at the time of the offence. According to Dan McLaughlin, communications counsel at B.C. Prosecution Service says those charges are still pending but are now in the Supreme Court. He says it’s expected they will be dealt with following the sentencing on this case.

A court appearance has been scheduled for August to fix a date for sentencing.



kendra.crighton@blackpress.ca

Follow us on Instagram
Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Police incident in Mount Douglas Park leads to road closure

Officers turning cars away, letting hikers go up trails

PHOTOS: Women’s March through downtown Victoria draws crowds of activists, allies

Attendees of all ages carried instruments, posters with empowering messages

New Victoria Conservatory music scholarship recognizes long-time Sidney resident

O. Thomas Webb died in Sidney last year after retiring to the community in 1975

Victoria resident lives well despite dementia

Walter Strauss has developed an interest in music and now takes line dancing classes

‘Like an ATM’: World’s first biometric opioid-dispensing machine launches in B.C.

First-of-its-kind dispensing machine unveiled in the Downtown Eastside with hopes of curbing overdose deaths

Horgan cancels event in northern B.C. due to security concerns, says Fraser Lake mayor

The premier will still be visiting the city, but the location and day will not be made public

PHOTOS: Eastern Newfoundland reeling, search underway for missing man after blizzard

More than 70 centimetres of new snow fell overnight, creating whiteout conditions

Prince Harry, Meghan to give up ‘royal highness’ titles

‘Harry, Meghan and Archie will always be much loved members of my family,’ says Queen Elizabeth II

Ice chunk from truck crushes vehicle windshield on Vancouver Island

None injured, but Nanaimo RCMP say there can be fines for accumulations of ice and snow

Calls for dialogue as Coastal GasLink pipeline polarizes some in northern B.C.

Coastal GasLink is building the 670-kilometre pipeline from British Columbia’s northeast to Kitimat on the coast

Intense winds en route to Greater Victoria

Winter storm warning in effect for east and west regions while wind warning to hit south and north

Theft victim confronts suspects with baseball bat on Vancouver Island

RCMP in Nanaimo seek to identify of two people alleged to have used a stolen credit card

Closed mills, housing surge support a positive forecast for lumber industries

B.C. lumber producers have closed mills accounting for 18% of province’s capacity, RBC report says

Most Read