Fairfield computer store faces $20,000 loss to burglary

Thieves broke into EB Computers on Sunday morning

A burglary in Fairfield has left a local computer store $20,000 in the hole.

Around 5:25 a.m. Sunday morning two thieves broke into EB Computers at 1827 Fairfield Rd., walking away with 20 laptops, both PC and Mac.

“I thought we had a good security system, we have bars in our windows and a double lock,” said owner Brad Wowryk. “But they bypassed it, came inside and within 40 seconds grabbed 20 laptops.”

Wowryk said that they’d had a low-resolution surveillance camera in place, and that he and some staff members watched the recording to see the thieves at work, before an unfortunate automatic schedule wiped the data from the system.

ALSO READ: 10 bags of donated Christmas toys stolen from Salvation Army

“It didn’t show a lot, but we did see them,” Wowryk said. “But, we don’t have it anymore.”

Wowryk said they called police when the robbery was discovered Sunday morning, but they did not arrive until Monday afternoon.

Consequently, several other people had to come into the shop Sunday night to replace the lock and install better security features so that EB Computers could open for business Monday morning.

Victoria Police were able to confirm the incident and that they did visit later on Monday.

“Due to call load and other priority calls, we were unable to attend until the afternoon on December 17th,” said Victoria Police Spokesperson Const. Matt Rutherford in an emailed response. “While we make every effort to attend every call promptly, lower priority calls sometimes have a delay. We have seen this delay getting longer and longer and that is one of the reasons why we’ve requested additional resources both last year, and this year.”

ALSO READ: Theft of wigs for kids who have cancer is ‘heartbreaking’

Wowryk said the store does have insurance that will hopefully cover the loss, but that it’s a devastating time for the theft to happen just before Christmas.

He also warned other store owners to be wary about potentially similar incidents.

“These people seemed pretty organized, they knew what they were doing,” he said. “These are high-standard commercial locks, but they still got in.”

nicole.crescenzi@vicnews.com

theft

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Saanich high school student wins free educational trip through Europe

Beaverbrook Vimy Prize centers on First, Second World War history

Province recognizes three Greater Victoria residents for work to combat racism

The three residents were recognized during the Multiculturalism and Anti-Racism Awards

Tour de Rock alum is newest Oak Bay Police officer

Const. Derek Brand did nine years as volunteer reserve officer

Vehicle ends up upside-down in creek along Happy Valley Road

One motorist in care of emergency services

Minimum wage goes up June 1 in B.C. as businesses face COVID-19 challenges

The minimum wage jumps by 75 cents to $14.60 an hour on Monday

Protesters prepare to rally against racism in front of Vancouver Art Gallery

Rally is in response to the deaths of black Americans and a Toronto woman

Man dies in ATV accident south of Nanaimo

Incident happened on backroad Friday night in Nanaimo Lakes area

Protesters rally against anti-black, Indigenous racism in Toronto

Police estimated the crowd to be between 3,500 and 4,000 and said there was no violence

Feds earmark $1.5M to support recovery of B.C., Indigenous tourism

B.C. money will be split between Vancouver Island and Indigenous tourism

‘We’re sick of it’: Anger over police killings shatters U.S.

Tens of thousands marched to protest the death of George Floyd

Surrey mayor’s party under fire for ‘sickening’ tweet accusing northern B.C. RCMP of murder

Mayor Doug McCallum says tweet, Facebook post ‘sent out by unauthorized person’

Father’s Day Walk Run for prostate cancer will be virtual event this year throughout B.C.

The annual fundraiser for Prostate Cancer Foundation BC has brought in $2.5 million since 1999

Dr. Bonnie Henry announces official ban on overnight kids’ camps this summer

New ban comes after talking with other provincial health officials across the country, Henry says

Most Read