Early morning fire rips through Langford home

Langford Fire Rescue attended the house on High Forest Place on Dec. 29

A fire ripped through a Langford home early Friday morning, causing extensive damange in the garage and into the upstairs living space.

Langford Fire Rescue was notified of the fire at about 4:30 a.m. on Dec. 29 and, upon arriving at the home at 820 High Forest Pl., found flames emanating from the garage and lapping up the side of the home into the upstairs living space.

The initial fire truck was soon joined by units from all three Langford stations, as well as View Royal Fire Department, and managed to contain the flames to the garage and part of the upstairs living space immediately above it.

“We were very fortunate that the residents in the home were woken by the smoke alarm and had all managed to leave the home before our first truck arrived. They’re very lucky to have gotten out of there before they were injured by the flames or smoke from the fire,” Fire Chief Chris Aubrey said.

“It took our crews about an hour to contain the flames but the guys did a great job and managed to limit the damage. It could have been a lot worse.”

After the initial fire was extinguished, crews remained on the scene to ensure that no hot spots were still active and to start the process of determining the cause of the fire.

“We’re pretty sure that the fire started in the garage, but we don’t have a point of origin as yet,” Aubrey said.

The chief estimates there is roughly $150,000 in damage, but said it was fortunate that most of the home’s contents escaped unscathed from water or smoke damage.

Neither of the homes adjacent to the property were affected, although at noon on Friday, there were still emergency services vehicles on site and a large area of the street was taped off with restricted access to residents only.

Aubrey emphasized the importance of having functioning smoke alarms and used this occurrence as a reminder for everyone to check their own alarms to make sure they are working.


Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

editor@goldstreamgazette.com

Just Posted

New, feature-length documentary on missing woman Emma Fillipoff comes out next year

The film follows Fillipoff’s disappearance and the ongoing investigation

Saanich School District parents welcome end of strike

Various sides of support worker strike acknowledge remaining tensions

Two Sidney seniors struck by vehicle with foggy windows in marked crosswalk

Driver fined for failure to yield, limited visibility caused by foggy windows

Harbour authority to honour Victoria sailor Jeanne Socrates with naming ceremony

In September Socrates became the oldest person to sail around the world in a solo, unassisted trip

VIDEO: The sticky truth about winter moths and how Greater Victoria arborists fight them

Winter moths have ‘killed a lot of trees’ across the region, says Oak Bay arborist

Midget no more: Sweeping division name changes coming to minor hockey in Canada

Alpha-numeric division names will be used for the 2020-2021 season and beyond

B.C. pushes for greater industry ‘transparency’ in gasoline pricing

Legislation responds to fuel price gap of up to 13 cents

UPDATED: Vancouver Island’s Joe gets suspended sentence in Teddy the dog cruelty case

Melissa Tooshley expected in court on Thursday in same case

B.C. petition calls for seat belts in new school buses

Agassiz bus driver collects 124,000 signatures in support

Nineteen boats carrying invasive mussels stopped at B.C. borders

Waters of Columbia-Shuswap still test mussel-free

Woman ‘horrified’ after being told to trek 200 kilometres home from Kamloops hospital

‘I can’t get from Kamloops back to 100 Mile House injured, confused… no shoes, no clothes whatsoever’

Canadian universities encourage exchange students in Hong Kong to head home

UBC said 11 of its 32 students completing programs in Hong Kong have already left

Most Read