Colby Messer

Denver sex assault charges dropped against Vancouver Island man

DA abandons case against Colby Messer of Port Alberni after new information surfaces

  • Oct. 18, 2016 8:00 p.m.

Sexual assault charges against a Port Alberni man lodged following a football road trip to Denver have been dropped.

The Denver District Attorney’s office announced the decision in a media release Monday.

“New information developed in this case that led to a determination that those charges could no longer be proven beyond a reasonable doubt,” the release states.”They were dismissed today.”

Colby James Messer, 30, was charged last April with six counts of sexual assault following an incident at a Denver hotel. Four of those charges were then dropped in August after a preliminary hearing.

He pled not guilty on Oct. 3 to two counts of sexual assault and overcoming the victim’s will.

According to Colorado court documents, Messer was accused of assaulting a 27-year-old female late at night on Nov. 14, 2015 at the Grand Hyatt Hotel in Denver.

In statements to the police, the victim said she had been drinking with Messer and several of his companions before ending up in the hotel room, adding that she did not know how she got there.

The victim told police that she was left bleeding after being assaulted with several objects in the hotel room. She left the hotel room and went to a hospital, where she reported the assault to the Denver Police Department.

Denver District Attorney’s Office spokeswoman Lynn Kimbrough stated that Messer was arrested on March 4 in Las Vegas upon returning to the U.S.

Messer waived his rights to extradition and appeared in in the Denver County Courtroom on March 23 for his first advisement.

Prior to Monday’s announcement, Messer had been slated to appear in Denver court again on Nov. 28. His bail conditions had been lessened to $200,000 bond and he was allowed to reside in Seattle with no GPS monitoring.

Three other men from Vancouver Island were also considered suspects in the investigation but charges were never laid against them.

Just Posted

More Peninsula councillors declare their 2018 intentions

Carl Jensen and Chris Graham, both of Central Saanich, have said they will run again.

Woodwynn Farms to be shut down and sold

The rehabilitation program at Woodwynn Farms is being shut down. According to… Continue reading

Wind warning in effect for Greater Victoria

Strong winds could reach up to 80 km/hr along coastal areas

Heavy snowfall closes Mount Washington for the day

Road to ski resort deemed unsafe, “high avalanche danger”

Whisky society commits to charity donation in wake of whisky raids

Refund of Victoria Whiskey Festival tickets won’t impact charity beneficiaries

Sidney’s Salish Sea aquarium to close for maintenance

First extended closure for the Shaw Centre for the Salish Sea since it opened in 2009

Butchart Gardens is hiring now and paying more

Wages start at $15, job fair Feb. 20

Vessel washed ashore in Campbell River during last night’s storm

A vessel appears to have gotten loose and washed to shore on… Continue reading

Cash still needed for Stelly’s Cross Path

MLA Olsen wants more specifics first

Liberals quietly tap experts to write new paternity leave rules

Ideas include creating an entirely new leave benefit similar to one that exists in Quebec

Insurers say Canadian weather getting hotter, wetter and weirder

Average number of days with heavy rain or snow across Canada has been outside norm since spring 2013

Final phase of MDMA-assisted psychotherapy trials to kick off in B.C.

Doctors hope to get psychedelic-assisted psychotherapy legalized in Canada and the U.S. by 2021

WHL winning streak ends at four in Kelowna for Victoria

Royals lose 8-4 as Rockets explode offensively

Wind warning back in effect around Vancouver Island

80 km/h winds expected Saturday, Jan. 20, on east coast of Island, 100 km/h on west coast

Most Read