Premier Christy Clark and Minister Rich Coleman announced new affordable housing projects Tuesday morning.

B.C. government announces 68 affordable housing projects across the province

Half of the 2,900 units are set for the Lower Mainland

The B.C. government has committed to creating close to 2,900 new affordable rental units, set to roll out in the next two years across the province.

The units are apart of 68 housing projects, financed through a $516-million housing fund that was announced by Premier Christy Clark in September to provide more housing for low-income, seniors, special needs individuals, aboriginals, woman and children.

“It gives us the ability to make significant investments, put British Columbians first, and take immediate action to increase the rental supply in communities throughout B.C.,” Clark said.

Almost half of the units will be built in the Lower Mainland, including Richmond, Whistler, and Surrey at the Centre for Family Development, where the announcement was made Tuesday morning.

At the centre, a new 40-unit affordable housing development will be built to provide housing for low-to moderate-income single women with children with special needs. It’s being built in partnership with YWCA Metro Vancouver, with $4.7 million coming from the province.

The projects are estimated to produce 5,500 new jobs, Clark said.

Housing minister Rich Coleman said non-profit organizations and municipalities could be seeing the money for these projects by the end of the fiscal year, with 12 to 24 months of construction to follow.

He noted these some of these buildings will include wrap-around resources in the buildings such as addiction resources, mental-health workers and social workers.

Housing critic questions long-term plan

Despite Tuesday’s announcement meaning potential relief for those struggling to find affordable housing, New Democrat Official Opposition spokesperson David Eby questions whether the Liberal’s have a long-term plan in mind when it comes to a housing strategy.

He described the projects as a “positive step, following years of neglect,” and noted the date of the announcement as the next provincial election lingers.

“It’s unfortunate that this is an election year promise” he said. “There’s no long-range plan that extends beyond this election.”


@ashwadhwaniashley.wadhwani@bpdigital.caLike us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

See details of each project below:

Just Posted

Trees topped, greenery snatched from Saanich park

‘If everyone took one thing, there’d be nothing left,’ says president of park society

New Saanich resident says volunteers get back as much as they give

Saanich Volunteers Services Society member encourages others to help the community

West Shore Parks and Rec offers holiday childcare alternatives

Camps available on days many daycares close

‘Norovirus-like’ outbreak interrupts Bantam hockey showcase in Greater Victoria

Several athletes were sent home, quarantined on the ferry

VIDEO: SNL skewers Trudeau’s mockery of Trump in high school cafeteria sketch

The three world leaders won’t let Trump sit at the cool kids’ table

Greater Victoria 2019 holiday craft fair roundup

Get a jump on your holiday shopping

B.C. VIEWS: An engine that hums right along

First Nations are leading a new surge of investment in B.C.

Brain injury from domestic abuse a ‘public health crisis,’ says B.C. researcher

Nearly 80% of the domestic violence victims who reported to police last year were woman

B.C.-born hockey official talks to IIHF about switching European rule book to NHL rules

Rob Shick will represent NHL at 4th World Hockey Forum in Russia

Miller nets winner as Canucks edge Sabres 6-5 in OT

Roussel, Leivo tally two apiece for Vancouver

$578: that’s how much your first distracted driving ticket will cost with recent premium hikes

Over 50 per cent of Canadians admitted to using phone while driving last year, according to study

Kelowna man attempts to steal bait bike from RCMP parking lot

38-year-old Brian Richard Harbison is facing several charges

‘Things haven’t changed enough:’ Ecole Polytechnique anniversary prompts reflection

Fourteen women were fatally shot by a gunman at the Montreal school on Dec. 6, 1989

Most Read