Longtime Saanich Peninsula residents might remember Mike Salkus as a teenage gas jockey in Sidney.
Of course, that was 42 years ago when he was just a youngster.
The years since have been filled with a lifetime of auto knowledge and industry experience – experience he’s thrilled to share with customers at the state-of-the-art service facility at the new Saanich Peninsula Canadian Tire, opened late last year by owner Grant Wood.
“Grant has spared no expense to serve the Peninsula,” says Salkus, who audiences will also remember as the long-time host of C-FAX 1070’s weekend radio show Motorline.
While Salkus had hung up his wrenches after 33 years at the helm of his own business, the opportunity to head up the new facility easily drew him out of retirement.
“This is a service manager’s dream shop!”
Here’s why you need to visit:
1. So much more than tires! In addition to Salkus, two mechanics, an apprentice and an installer are all hard at work in the full-service shop. “We maintain your car for you and do all the required work a dealer would do, all warranty-approved, meaning you can get everything done right here on the Peninsula,” Salkus notes.
2. And yes, if you do need tires … They do that too! Not only does the shop boast a huge selection of tires, but also two of the region’s top tire technicians working on the newest alignment machines. In fact, they’re among the very few that can even accommodate a Ferrari’s low clearance – great news for drivers whose modified wheels have the same low profile!
3. Convenient times: Saturday hours in the Canadian Tire shop offer a level of convenience that’s hard to come by on the Peninsula, and offers an alternative to heading all the way to Victoria just to have your car serviced.
4. Peace of mind, wherever your travels take you: Behind the Canadian Tire name is one of the best warranties in the business, honoured at locations across the country. Paired with their premium-quality parts, customers appreciate the peace of mind this offers wherever they travel. And those new tires? Enjoy Canadian Tire’s five-year Tire Care Guarantee, Salkus notes. “No matter where you are in Canada, our national warranty applies at any of our 500+ stores.”
5. Part of the community: To say Salkus has landed in this dream job is hardly overstating things. “I love cars and I love working with people and especially love the Peninsula,” he says, pointing to the community involvement – like support for the Torquemasters’ summer car show – that’s already part of the store’s DNA. “It’s part of the community and we’ve worked to make it that way.”
Stop by the new Canadian Tire at 10300 McDonald Park Rd. in North Saanich, or call the service department at 778-746-4120.