Sandown commercial project a step closer

A $40 million commercial development at the Sandown horse racing track in North Saanich is expected to be debated by politicians on March 3

North Saanich Councillor Elsie McMurphy

A $40 million commercial development at the Sandown horse racing track in North Saanich is expected to be debated by local politicians on Monday, March 3.

Omicron, the development firm overseeing the project, has held two open houses this month on their plans for 4.85 hectares (12 acres) of the 38-hectare (85-acre) property. For one of North Saanich’s largest developments in recent years, there was a light turnout of between 60 to 70 people at each of the open houses.

Omicron spokesperson Peter Laughlin said, however, that people gave good feedback on their plans.

“The largest group of people who have been here are horse people,” he said.

They have offered suggestions including making the layout of the development reminiscent of horse stalls, to having hitching posts included in the design plans.

Others have asked for parking that would make it easier for people to walk to and from the shops on site —something that Laughlin said is being worked into the plans.

While Laughin could still not say which retailers have expressed interest in taking up some of the 40,000 square feet of proposed commercial space at the site, he did say that the recent news of the Sandown project and the Jesken Town Centre in Central Saanich coming on stream, has sparked more interest overall.

The open houses, Laughlin added, were to explain potential land uses only. The rezoning of the property still has to take place at the municipal council level.

On March 3, Laughlin said he expects the project will get a third reading and would then be able to proceed to the development permit stage. This, he continued, allows the developer to make specific site plans and would mean taking them to additional public open houses.

Omicron and the owners of the land, the Randal Family, have agreed to pay around $750,000 for land remediation — one of North Saanich’s main requirements for the project to proceed.

North Saanich also is in the process of swapping its own land to the ALR to offset the loss of the commercial area.

 

Just Posted

Relative of man found dead in Saanich says he was missing for years

RCMP and a private detective had been searching for him since 2012

UPDATED: Oak Bay father takes stand, denies killing young daughters

Andrew Berry has plead not guilty to the December 2017 deaths of his two daughters

Man who killed Langford teen attended her memorial service, demonstrates little remorse

Parole Board of Canada documents reveal factors in parole decision

Oak Bay’s Food Forum closes after 37 years

Open on Christmas Day, the Estevan Village grocery had lovable quirks

Saanich Police warn of counterfeit money being used

Several fake $100 bills have been reported in Greater Victoria

VIDEO: Title of 25th Bond movie is ‘No Time to Die’

The film is set to be released in April 2020

POLL: Should there be a ban on gas-powered leaf blowers?

We’ve all heard them, and most likely cursed them under our breath.… Continue reading

Greater Victoria wanted list for the week of Aug. 23

Greater Victoria Crime Stoppers is seeking the public’s help in locating the… Continue reading

New study suggests autism overdiagnosed: Canadian expert

Laurent Mottron: ‘Autistic people we test now are less and less different than typical people’

Trans Mountain gives contractors 30 days to get workers, supplies ready for pipeline

Crown corporation believes the expansion project could be in service by mid-2022

Rosemount cooked diced chicken linked to listeria case in B.C.

The symptoms of listeria include vomiting, nausea, fever, muscle aches

B.C. seniors allowed more choice to stay in assisted living

Province doesn’t need to wait for a complaint to investigate care, Adrian Dix says

Retired B.C. fisherman wins record $60M Lotto Max jackpot

Joseph Katalinic won the biggest Lotto Max prize ever awarded

Island manslaughter suspect found not guilty in Supreme Court

Court accepts accused’s argument of self-defence for 2017 incident in Courtenay

Most Read