The “Frozen” gang returns in the second film which Greater Victoria kids got to watch for free on Dec. 27 as part of the Christmas Blessing Challenge. (Disney image)

Greater Victoria realtors, businesses cover costs so 175 kids can see ‘Frozen 2’ for free

Free Saanich screening to honour two Oak Bay girls killed in 2017

Local businesses took part in the Christmas Blessing Challenge on Friday by buying out a theatre at SilverCity so 175 kids and their parents could watch “Frozen 2” for free.

The challenge was created four years ago after RE/MAX Alliance and Victoria Homes realtor Alex Burns and local philanthropist Kelcy Snyckers were inspired by the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge which raised money for amyotrophic lateral sclerosis or Lou Gehrig’s disease.

READ ALSO: Canadian ‘Frozen 2’ animators tapped into cold weather experiences

The Christmas Blessing Challenge encourages local businesses, pastors and community leaders to participate in random acts of kindness and lend a hand over the holidays. The participants then post to social media and challenge others to make a difference too.

This year, the challenge kicked off on Dec. 17 when Burns, Victoria Police Department Chief Del Manak and Dodd’s Furniture owner Gordie Dodd covered the cost of morning orders at the Tim Hortons location on Blanshard Street and Hillside Avenue.

READ ALSO: Customers surprised by free orders at Victoria Tim Hortons

On Dec. 27, 40 RE/MAX Alliance realtors and several other community sponsors joined forces to cover the cost of the 11:30 a.m. screening of “Frozen 2” at the cinema in Saanich so kids with Extreme Outreach – a local non-profit that works to remove barriers caused by poverty and break the cycle of homelessness and addiction – could watch the movie.

The film was chosen to commemorate Chloe and Aubrey Berry, who were killed by their father in Oak Bay on Christmas Day in 2017. Suzanna Morin, the girls’ nanny of three years and Burns’ cousin, told him that “Frozen” had been the girls’ favourite film.

READ ALSO: Oak Bay father Andrew Berry guilty in daughters’ murders

“We felt it appropriate to approach some businessmen and women in the city and plan this in their honour. We are thankful to the sponsors and realtors … who have made this possible,” Burns said. “It went really well.”

He noted that local actors were in attendance dressed as Anna and Elsa so that the kids could take photos with the princesses.

Various other events have taken place throughout the region and participants paid it forward by purchasing groceries coffee, gas and more for members of the community. Victoria Mayor Lisa Helps, Saanich Mayor Fred Haynes and legislature chaplain Jason Goertzen were among those who participated and then took to social media to encourage others to do the same.


@devonscarlett
Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

devon.bidal@saanichnews.com

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

A small number of the masks available at Disguise the Limit. (Kendra Crighton/News Staff)
West Shore costume expert showcases pandemic-safe Halloween looks

Maureen Cue models the best masked Halloween costumes

The Turkey Head Walkway. (Travis Paterson/News Staff)
Oak Bay community sees untapped potential in Turkey Head

Part 3 of a closer look at Oak Bay Marina and Turkey Head

Lookout Lake water levels are low as the dam undergoes upgrades. (Aaron Guillen/News Staff)
Colwood dam upgrades projected to be under budget

Province designates Lookout Brook as a high consequence dam should it fail

With Treat Street cancelled this year because of COVID-19, the Sidney BIA’s sixth annual Halloween Spooktacular will give trick-and-treaters like Jennifer Weiss (right) and Heidi Duncan other options, including a free drive-in movie at Sidney’s Mary Winspear Centre. (Black Press Media File)
Sidney BIA hands out Halloween Spooktacular

Key elements of modified Halloween celebrations include free drive-in movie at Mary Winspear

Police closed McNeill Avenue after a workplace death Oct. 20, 2020. (Nina Grossman/News Staff)
WorkSafe BC investigating man’s death during Oak Bay tree removal

Man was working for contracted tree removal company when incident occurred

FILE – People wait in line at a COVID-19 testing facility in Burnaby, B.C., on Thursday, August 13, 2020. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Darryl Dyck
167 new COVID-19 cases, 1 death recorded as B.C. enters 2nd wave

Three new healthcare outbreaks also announced

Advance polls are open from Oct. 15 to 21 with election day on Oct. 24. (Black Press Media file photo)
Nanaimo RCMP are asking for the public’s assistance in locating Michael Leighton, who is wanted on 11 warrants on Vancouver Island and is a suspect in a recent break, enter and theft in Nanaimo. (Photos submitted)
RCMP looking for break-and-enter suspect with 11 warrants on the Island

Nanaimo RCMP say Michael Leighton a suspect in theft of pistol and $40,000 worth of coins

This 2020 electron microscope image made available by the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases shows a Novel Coronavirus SARS-CoV-2 particle isolated from a patient, in a laboratory in Fort Detrick, Md. THE CANADIAN PRESS/AP-NIAID/NIH via AP
At least 49 cases of COVID-19 linked to wedding in Calgary: Alberta Health

McMillan says the city of Calgary has recently seen several outbreaks linked to social gatherings

UBC geoscientists discovered the wreckage of a decades-old crash during an expedition on a mountain near Harrison Lake. (Submitted photo)
Wreckage of decades-old plane crash discovered on mountain near Harrison Lake

A team of Sts’ailes Community School students helped discover the twisted metal embedded in a glacier

The official search to locate Jordan Naterer was suspended Saturday Oct. 17. Photo courtesy of VPD.
‘I am not leaving without my son,’ says mother of missing Manning Park hiker

Family and friends continue to search for Jordan Naterer, after official efforts suspended

Bernard Trest and his son Max, 10, are concerned about B.C.’s plan for students in the classroom. He was one of two fathers who filed a court application in August to prevent schools from reopening if stricter COVID-19 protections weren’t in place. That application was dismissed last week. (Contributed photo)
B.C. dad pledges to appeal quashed call for mandatory masks, distancing in schools

Bernard Trest and Gary Shuster challenged health, education ministries’ return-to-school plan

RCMP crest. (Black Press Media files)
RCMP cleared in fatal shooting of armed Lytton man in distress, police watchdog finds

IIO spoke to seven civillian witnesses and 11 police officers in coming to its decision

A 34-year-old man was treated for a gunshot wound in Williams Lake Monday, Oct 19, 2020. (Angie Mindus photo - Williams Lake Tribune)
Williams Lake man treated for gunshot wound after accidental shooting: RCMP

Police are reminding residents to ensure firearms are not loaded when handling them

Most Read