- Place Classified Ad
- Browse Classifieds
- BC Jobs
- Victoria News
- Oak Bay News
- Saanich News
- Goldstream News Gazette
- Real Estate Victoria
- Vancouver Island Free Daily
ALR info was correct: Abbeyfield
Re: Information letter misrepresented ALR (Letter, Dec. 28)
I believe Lorrene Soellner’s failure to check the published sources of information I used in the Saanich Peninsula Abbeyfield brochure, her lack of understanding, and erroneous inferences from irrelevant Land Titles data led her to falsely allege that “incorrect information was circulated in this brochure under item No. 4 – Precedent Settings for Land Removal from the ALR.”
Item 4 is reproduced in full below, from the Abbeyfield brochure. Had Soellner called me for more information, I would have directed her, like several others, to the ALR maps in www.smartgrowth.bc.ca and to recent zoning maps.
“4. Precedent Settings for Land Removal from the ALR and Permitted Developments within the ALR
(Sources: Sea to Sea Greenbelt Society Maps for the Agricultural Land Reserve, North Saanich, Sidney and Central Saanich (1974 to 2006); North Saanich and Central Saanich Zoning Maps)
• Lands were removed from the ALR in North Saanich for single residential lots in various parts of the district; the Sansbury elementary school site; Woodcreek subdivision; Swartz Bay ferry terminal; and Marine Technology Centre.
• Developments were permitted within the ALR in North Saanich such as the Eagle Ridge Multiple Residential development; a portion of the Institute of Ocean Sciences; Panorama Recreation Centre; KELSET elementary school; Sandown race track; Ardmore and Glen Meadows golf courses.
• Lands were removed from the ALR in Central Saanich for the Bayside school; light industrial (I1); single family residential (R1 & R1M); residential attached(RM1 & RM3); and rural estate (RE5).
• Developments were permitted within the ALR in Central Saanich for the Saanichton elementary school site; Saanich Fair Grounds; Stelly’s school; Centennial Park; and Thompson Place.”
president, Saanich Peninsula Abbeyfield Housing Society