- Place Classified Ad
- Browse Classifieds
- BC Jobs
- Victoria News
- Oak Bay News
- Saanich News
- Goldstream News Gazette
- Real Estate Victoria
- Vancouver Island Free Daily
COUNCIL BRIEFS: Central Saanich
• Council voted to make a proclamation that recognizes Oct. 20 of this year as Small Business Saturday in Central Saanich. The motion was made by Coun. Carl Jensen and was unanimously agreed upon by council.
“Small business is classified as anything under 50 employees and that’s a lot of our businesses here in the community,” said Jensen during the meeting. “By making this motion, I hope to recognize the contribution our small businesses make in the community.”
October is recognized nationally as Small Business Month in Canada.
• Woodwynn Farms is in the process of preparing a new application for temporary housing to bring to Central Saanich council. According to Coun. Adam Olsen, the farm already sent an application to the Agricultural Land Commission on a previous date, so the new application will only have to go to the municipality rather than both governing bodies.
• Vantreight Farms put forward a proposal during Monday night’s meeting to install a 50m tower with a 30m by 30m compound for the installation of various telecommunication companies’ equipment.
The farm has housed telecommunications antennas on some of their existing buildings for more than 20 years, but is seeking to formalize the way the process is done, by installing an appropriate tower.
Because of the land’s zoning and the size of the tower and compound, the proposal does not pose any issues with the municipality’s official community plan nor does it require Agricultural Land Commission approval, said Planning Director Hope Burns.
• Coun. Carl Jensen attended the Capital Regional District meeting and reported back on the recreation commission’s report that Panorama Recreation Centre experienced its busiest pool season ever this past summer.
Jensen noted that the closure of Commonwealth pool over the summer months for renovations had a significant impact on heightened attendance numbers at Panorama and other pools throughout the CRD.